- Play nice but win was the ethos Dell got from his parents. His dad was a successful orthodontist and his mom was in investing. They had high expectations but stressed you also needed to act well in order to truly succeed
- Silver Lake helped take Dell private in 2013. They’d need to raise $25 b, the biggest deal they’d ever have done up to that point, and made it happen
- Michael has incessant energy, curiosity, and loved taking electronics apart. His family talked business and economics at home, rather than other surface level things.
- Michael was entrepreneurial from a young age and used his hard earned money to buy an Apple II. The first thing he did with this expensive machine was take it apart. His parents were furious but his thought was
- They have a decision making framework called facts / alternatives and choices / commitments to help them understand the landscape and try to make the best decision possible
What I got out of it
- Fun to hear about the founding story of Dell, but found it mainly pretty fluffy