- Max Gunther walks us through the nature of luck, how we can better manage it and therefore improve our luck.
- Luck – “It blunders in and out of our lives, unbidden, unexpected, sometimes welcome and sometimes not. It plays a role in all our affairs, often the commanding role. No matter how carefully you design your life, you cannot know how that design will be changed by the working of random events. You can only know the events will occur.
- Luck consists of events that influence your life but are not of your making
- It will be useful to take a brief look at this reluctance. You must clear it out of your way before you can begin the process of changing your luck.
- The 13 techniques to increasing your luck include:
- Making the Luck/Planning Distinction
- Finding the Fast Flow
- Risk Spooning
- Run Cutting
- Luck Selection
- The Zigzag Path
- Constructive Supernaturalism
- Worst-Case Analysis
- The Closed Mouth
- Recognizing a Nonlesson
- Accepting an Unfair Universe
- The Juggling Act
- Destiny Pairing
What I got out of it
- A lot of Gunther’s examples seem pretty weak but his point is well taken – understand when and how much of a role luck plays and be aware of it. Quick read with some practical techniques that you can apply to your daily life
Read The Luck Factor