The Rabbit Hole by Blas Moros
My monthly newsletter covers the books I have read over the course of the month, the challenges I undertook as well as some other interesting articles, blog posts, interviews, tools, hacks, etc.
- Finite and Infinite Games by James P. Carse
- Kiewit: An Uncommon Company by Jeffrey Rodengen
- The Lives of Artists by Giorgio Vasari
- Against Method by Paul Feyerabend
- Foundation by Isaac Asimov
- Am I Being Too Subtle? by Sam Zell
Any book, which is at all important, should be immediately re-read
- None this month
- Daily tweet – hardly did anything on Twitter before but it was fun to try to come up with a quick daily blurb that wasn’t totally worthless
- No caffeine – I usually only drink 1-2 cups per day but this was surprisingly easy after the first 2 days. Definitely slept better but miss coffee and will go back to 1-2 per day
- Why Envy Dominates Greed – argues that several key economic assumptions are wrong and that envy can explain most of what greed can, plus more
- The Disciplined Pursuit of Less – great article on the importance of clarity and saying no
- Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? – a sombering look at the effects that social media and smartphones have had on the post-millennial generation
- The Finding Mastery Podcast may be my favorite of all – check out Jewel (singer-songwriter), Varun Soni (Dean of Religious Life at USC), Ray Conner (Boeing Vice-Chairman)
- Knowing History and Knowing Yourself – great article by David McCullough on the importance of knowing history
- A lot to be learned from multi-disciplinary war strategist, John Boyd. His focus on velocity, rapid adaptation, red queen effect, touching the medium and more are useful for anybody to adapt and employ
- Ron Shaich, founder of Au Bon Pain and Panera, shares a lot of great points about business, life, leaadership.
- Beyond the Bitcoin Bubble – excellently written and easy to absorb article on the true power of blockchain
- A Dozen Things I’ve Learned From Mike Maples Sr. – some great management and business lessons from Mike Maples Sr., an early and important influence on Microsoft
- Morgan Housel on What Other Industries Teach Us About Investing. A lot of good takeaways. Take a simple idea and take it seriously.
- Two Biggest Lessons Learned by Josh Tarasoff. Huge fan and a lot of what he touches on resonate a lot for me
- Kobe Bryant’s Dear Basketball
- Some great blog posts by Sam Altman of Y-Combinator – Growth and Government, Startup Advice, Rickover, Premature Optimization, The Days Are Long but the Decades are Short
- I drop everything when Dan Carlin releases a new podcast. His newest, Painfotainment, is gory but, as always, Carlin weaves it together into an incredible story
“Learn to love what you have been taught to fear.” – Felix Baumgartner
To unsubscribe click here, to edit your profile click here.